Sunday, July 26, 2009

So Close You Can Taste...The Champagne

One of the reasons why I got into blogging was because I was appointed "blogger" at work last year. After filling in for the editor of one of our company sponsored blogs a few times, my manager wanted me to take over the blog with my own ideas on a daily basis. It was fun and I put a lot of time and effort into it over the next few months. You can read it at www.moderndesignblog.com

Unfortunately, our work schedule changed and the blog was no longer a priority in our search engine marketing campaign. Despite the fact that I had no new content being posted in a couple of months, a PR agency found my blog and invited me to a fantastic event in Boston. I covered the Christofle opening event on Modern Design Blog. Since the store opening was only a 10 minute walk away from work I arrived there early of course feeling incredibly awkward and shy. After finding the courage to enter the event, I was greeted with some friendly faces and a glass of champagne. The champagne drink was actually the reason that put me over the fence when it came down to my decision to attend and I came away with a whole lot more than what I was expecting.

I found myself in a room filled with all of the people that I wanted to be. Magazine editors, PR agents, boutique and high-end store managers, and designers graced the new interior of the Christofle's store on Boylston Street. While sipping lightly on my glass of champagne I scanned the room and felt like I entered into a room that held my dream. It was such an odd feeling, one that I haven't experienced before. I knew that I had to take advantage of this moment before I lost it. My excitment was slightly masked by feelings of self-doubt. Who was I compared to these successful people? What could I possibly offer to them? I was standing in a room of accomplished people while picking apart my own features: 24 year old asked to attend this event because of a blog that I used to write for and can't find the time to update every now and then. I've published posts, not magazines and designed my own "trying to be dressy/trendy for a high end event" outfit in about 10 minutes that morning, not wearing sterling silver accessories compliments of the boutique.

After meeting a few people and grabbing a collection of business cards, I felt great. One way I described the event was that I felt like I was Ugly Betty being invited to a classy magazine event. Since then I have lost touch with most of the people that I met that night and spent more time with at a spa opening event a week later. It was important for me to at least experience a night like that and meet some people in an industry that I'm very interested in learning more about. Hopefully in the coming months I will get in contact with a few of the newest members in my network and get the ball rolling...onto something I really enjoy doing!